VMS System Identification Change
Some VMS programs use the VAX model numbers encoded in the system boot ROM. The Quayle Consulting product series QCI-SID allows any or all of the following numbers as reported by function SYS$GETSYI to be changed in a running VMS system.
- Number of CPU's
On VAX, the HW_NAME string will change according to the HW_MODEL value. On Alpha, the HW_NAME string can be set as desired.
This product is available for:
- VAX/VMS versions V5.0 and later
- OpenVMS VAX versions V6.0 and later
- OpenVMS Alpha versions V6.0 and later
Customers desiring this product for earlier VMS versions, or on HP Integrity servers, should contact Quayle Consulting for a special quotation.
To create the correct license key, QCI needs the results of the following DCL script. This must be executed on the system whose values are to be imitated.
$ WRITE SYS$OUTPUT F$GETSYI ("VERSION") $ WRITE SYS$OUTPUT F$GETSYI("HW_NAME") $ WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "CPU = " + F$FAO ("!8XL", F$GETSYI("CPU")) $ WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "HW_MODEL = " + F$FAO ("!8XL", - F$GETSYI("HW_MODEL")) $ WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "SID = " + F$FAO ("!8XL", F$GETSYI("SID")) $ WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "XCPU = " + F$FAO ("!8XL", F$GETSYI("XCPU")) $ WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "AVAILCPU_CNT = " + F$GETSYI("AVAILCPU_CNT") $ WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "ACTIVECPU_CNT = " + F$GETSYI("ACTIVECPU_CNT") $ WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "XSID = " + F$FAO ("!8XL", F$GETSYI("XSID"))
Upon request, QCI can lock the product to work only with a specific version of VMS.
The license for the product comes as a VMS PAK (Product Authorization Key). The PAK will have the requested values encoded in it. The executables for all versions of VMS come as VMS "ZIP" files, downloadable from the Quayle Consulting FTP site.
Copy the appropriate executables into one location (such as SYS$MANAGER). If the values are desired whenever the system boots, the program could be run from the SYS$MANAGER:SYSTARTUP command procedure.
Running the SETID program without a valid license PAK installed and loaded first will cause the system to immediately BUGCHECK.
Define a foreign symbol for SETID_LOADER (the following example assumes that the program is in SYS$MANAGER):
To set the values encoded in the license PAK, run the SETID program:
To set the HW_NAME, you can specify a parameter on the LOAD command (Alpha only):
To restore the system default values:
To see the values being reported:
QCI will provide a free 60-day license PAK for testing; the permanent license PAK will be provided when funds have cleared.
Purchasers of this product agree to these terms and conditions:
- Purchaser will not use this product to violate license agreements of Hewlett-Packard, VMS Software, Inc. (the owners of OpenVMS) or other companies.
- Purchaser will not attempt to reverse-engineer this product and its operation.
- Purchaser will hold harmless Quayle Consulting Inc., its employees, and its officers should this product cause improper operation of any computer system.
- Purchaser will indemnify Quayle Consulting Inc., its employees, and its officers against any legal claim arising from possession, purchase, or use of this product.
For more information about the SID Change utility or to purchase the software, please contact Quayle Consulting.